Thursday 14 June 2007

A site to behold!















Well here it is! After a good 18 months on the waiting list I have finally secured my own slice of England. (ok so officially the Council own it, but lets not split hairs...)



The plot is located on a site called Milton Piece, which is near Southsea - on the South East coast of Portsmouth. A lovely location flanked by the sea, and a peacefully quiet oasis where I hope I can escape the city!

I had given up hope of getting one this year to be honest. My frequent calls to the council were met with varying degrees of enthusiasm, and the messages I got from them were equally varied. Depending on who I spoke to I went from 15th on the list one month, to 5th the next, and then back to 15th again! As a result the letter on the doorstep was a very pleasant surprise indeed. I dashed to the site on the Saturday that the letter arrived, and selected the plot I wanted from the available list. I was lucky to get my first choice.

So there you have it. I have an allotment. As you can see from the picture it has a lot of weeds to clear, and I am itching to get started. I have hired a strimmer for the weekend (which is tantamount to doing a raindance) and will endeavour to keep this blog updated every so often with tales of my progress.

Already I have so many questions! Not least, as my Mum always used to say "Will it be another five-minute wonder?" Im pretty sure she was referring to my attention span when given a new and expensive 'must have' toy, and not my sexual prowess, but who knows? Mum knows best as they say...

Im also keen to find out if the allotment will replace my unhealthy and somewhat geeky addiction to online gaming. Yes I must confess that for the past year or so I have been immersed in a thoroughly addictive 'MMO' game. At the risk of losing my audience at this early stage I will merely explain that MMOG stands for 'Massively Multiplayer Online Game'. Enough said on that? Yes, I think so too.

So bring on the back ache, and lets replace my pasty skin with the healthy bronzed skin of an 'outdoor type'. I know it will do me good, and if I can put the same level of commitment into the lottie as I did into the game, I should be ready to start with crop rotation and sowing and thinning and reaping by the time the next growing season starts.

I may even get something in the ground this year! Wouldn't that be nice?

So watch this space, and if you see me doing something badly wrong, please do let me know...




No comments: