Monday 18 June 2007

The shed is no more

Following a very successful Saturday with the strimmer, I spent Sunday clearing up what was left of a shed, and putting all the 'junk' in a neat pile at the far end of the plot. There are a few bits and bobs that I may well use again.

The shed that I was clearing was more like an air raid shelter than a shed! The guy who had the plot before me left all his allotment things to his friends on neighbouring plots in his will. Everything had gone apart from three walls of this building. I soon realised why...

The 'shed' was made of a wooden stud wall, which was insulated with carpet, and then covered on the outside with sheets of metal. Having finally freed one section from the rest, I had to drag it to the other end of the plot. I made a nice neat pile of all the various materials I found, and will take a photo next time im up there.

The shed was kept in place by being riveted to yet more sheets of metal that were buried into the ground as foundations. The six inches or so that were above ground were like the top of the iceberg. It took me about 3 hours to dig them all up! I think that may explain the pain in my back. Ah well, what doesnt kill me will make me stronger. Eventually.

So now I have the blank canvas I have been looking forward to. I have planned 6 beds that I will rotate each year, and still have a lot of space for more permanent fixtures such as a shed, compost area, fruit bushes, Asparagus bed etc. Im also tempted by artichokes, but cant recall ever having eaten one, so might have to wait and see for that.

Plan for this week is to start marking out and digging the beds, and to try and get hold of some wood to make a compost bin with. I have a grand design in my mind, but I might have to make do with what I can create from the wood I can get hold of. Ideally I would have something a little more permanent than 4 pallets tied together...

I ordered some green manure seeds today (phacelia), so will grow that in 2 of the beds this year, before starting for real on the 'master plan' next year.

One thing im not sure of is the potato plants I found while clearing. The plants are not at all bushy, and tend to be taking the form of a single stalk. As you may have guessed im a complete novice and im not sure if these are spuds I should be caring for, or ones left over from last years crop. I lifted a couple of plants and found very few spuds (too early?), and one spud that was completely filled with wood lice!

I will try and find out about the spuds and let you know what advice I get!

Heres a pic:

No comments: