Monday 25 June 2007

Rain stops play


A frustrating week was followed by a frustrating weekend - both caused by the terrible weather. As far as progress goes, there is very little to report. I did get to the plot early in the week, and dug another bed over. I found that I had inadvertently strimmed a few potato plants that were hiding amongst the weeds, so I dug these up and am proud to announce that I have eaten the first harvest from the plot! It's not quite the same as eating something I planted myself, but I have that to look forward to. The spuds were a bit on the small side, but better to have dug them up now as im sure they would have rotted without a plant above them to continue their growth.
I decided to cover the beds over while im still working on them, and until I decide what going to go in them. Here you can see the first bed covered over. I knew I would find a use for the remnants of the old shed!


Next is a picture showing the second bed, and after that a picture showing the spud plants. I weeded carefully around the spuds, and will start to mound up soil around the plants. I have seen this being done on other plots, so am assuming its the done thing! They dont really fit in with my grand design, but I will leave them where they are rather than digging them up. The grand design can wait im sure...







Finally, here is a snap of the first produce from the plot to be eaten by me! They tasted great, so i take my hat off to the previous plot holder for his fine choice of variety. I dont have a clue what they were, other than tasty!
Well that's it from me for the time being. I will update again when theres something to show you. Heres hoping the rain doesnt last too long...

No comments: