Tuesday 19 June 2007

Best laid plans and all that....

As I looked out of the window of the office at about 4:30 this afternoon, my mind was racing with ideas as to how I might spend my evening at the allotment. The sun was shining in all its glory, and my pleasant lunchtime stroll around the lake with my friend Jason was fresh in my mind. I was keen to get up there this evening. I took a well earned break from it last night and instead produced the literary masterpieces shown below this post!! Its strange writing a blog. I really enjoy typing whatever crap comes into my head, but at the end of the day, (as my newly downloaded counter is showing) no bugger ever reads this anyway! I guess its more like a diary in that respect - very useful for capturing thoughts and feelings and recording events, but unlikely to be good reading fodder for the masses.

So back to the allotment. As mentioned I was keen to get up there today. I had made wooden pegs, bought string, and even taken delivery of a recent ebay win - 100m of weed suppressing fabric. The plan was to dig a few beds over roughly and then cover them with the weed membrane until I was ready to give them a more thorough going over. As the title of todays post suggests, the best laid plans do tend to go to waste. As I packed the required items into the boot of my car, the weather went from bright sunshine to raging thunderstorm in a matter of seconds. I ran into my garage and watched as the rain lashed down. Finally by about 7pm the rain stopped, and the sun came back out. I made my way to the plot - determined to do at least something.

As you can see from the pic below, I only got round to digging one bed, and before I knew it, it was 9pm.

The plan is to dig 12 of these beds, and then in pairs I will have the makings of a 6 year rotation. I should point out that this is the current plan - who knows how it will change over the coming weeks!
When I have a bit more time I will let you know what I plan to put into the 6 beds each year, and do my best to explain the rotation system I have in mind. It's all info I have taken from books and the internet, so hopefully its a sound plan.
I will sign off now for the night, and give time for my aches and pains to arrive in full force in the morning!

2 comments:

the aMatteur gardener said...

Well congratulations mate! Im about to go on a waiting list up in Newcastle, god i hope its shorter than 18months! Found the blog off the forum, I'll follow it with interest. Bon Chance!

JimmyJames said...

Hey Matt, thanks for the well wishes!
Been a frustrating week with all the rain, and progress has been slow, but hopefully the sun will make an appearance this week!